Start a new topic

Why does checking autopay charge a $4 "convenience" fee?

So through Union Bank I've never paid a "convenience" fee to have my HOA assessment debited from checking via ACH. I'm interested to know why you want $4 for the privilege.

I'm not going to pay a convenience fee to pay my HOA bill monthly, especially if it's going through ACH and there's no merchant charge to mark up and pass along.

How do I make a payment without the fees as I have been for years until Sentry switched to you for processing?

Thanks,

Dave

3 people have this problem

Thank you, 

Dave for interpreting the feelings of many other victims of this change. I don't want to pay any fee either!

1 person likes this

It just happened to me as well.  This is  simply wrong to charge that fee is using your checking account.  It automatically charged me as well.

Service fee on eCheck is asinine. 

I wonder if all on this thread, and those reading, are aware that if you set up an AUTOPAY with no end date, there are no fees on each payment. This doesn't take away from concerns noted here about one-time and limited recurrring payment fees, but does offer at least one choice for "set and forget" payment of Association fees without any service charges. Once you set it up, you need never touch the AUTOPAY: no need to renew each year, and it auto-updates with monthly fee changes from year to year. And you can cancel it anytime you want, online. This is what we recommend to owner in our Association. T.C. Pres/Townhomes at Guilford

Todd,

The secret isn't necessarily the autopay, it's that you have to select autopay PLUS pay the full balance. If you do autopay plus a fixed amount you still get charged a convenience fee.

Note that this opens homeowners up to surprise bills if a special assessment is levied without communicating it to the community. 

Login or Signup to post a comment